Thursday, September 13, 2012

Refreshing the blog button now.

September 2012
Getting up to date with Joshua D Hoaglund Studio Sketch book Current Events.
Time to revive the pages here. I am feeling a bit extroverted tonight.
Since the last post in March I have moved out of Boston to Carlsbad California.
I have transferred to the San Diego branch of Rockstar Games.

Leaving Boston is good for myself and my family. I had lived in Boston since 1993. I did my apprenticeship as stained glass artist/craftsman there, I started a new career in 3D art and Video Games from Boston. I spent plenty of time in town and learned a bit about Boston stuff. I am keeping my Boston accent close to my heart. I studied martial arts there. I met my wife Rise there and we had our child Mayari at Brigham and Women's Hospital close to where we lived.

I am missing teaching at Harvard Extension School and meeting all the cool people there. Harvard is a highlight for me.

Here is a shot of the Extension school shield which I taught Intro to Maya 2012 for a semester. This is from Harvard's 2012 graduation.
Also a shout out to Catherine Musinsky whose Thesis won the Prize at her Master's graduation.
                                                           Check it out Here
I was a thesis adviser for her. I offered technical assistance to her for using Maya 2012.


There are a lot of things in Boston that are great and are missed by me. However, my family and I are enjoying the great weather and family in California. Despite what my California colleagues think about surfing in New England. I did learn to surf in Rhode Island and I am happy to take that skill with me to California.
For example another missed place is Million Year Picnic in Cambridge. I have not found as good a comic shop in Carlsbad since comicon.


I am createing a photo journal of the trip across country to post here. It may take a few posts to get all of it done. I want to do it since it has been two months since we drove across the country in our Mini Clubman. I want some documentation before the details fade. I have posted some of the shots on my Google plus page.  Joshua Hoaglund on Google Plus
If you want to skip the next few blog posts and just look at the pics you can go to the G+ page and see a bunch of the shots we took there. I am posting some of those shots here along with un-posted stuff and better comments.

Just some visual stimulation:
This is a ridge in Utah where Ravens flew on the updrafts of air. Pretty spectacular sight. It would take us about 5 days to get to this point.


Beginning the task of moving made my skin crawl, I am a hoarder and I hate getting rid of stuff. Choices had to be made. Decisions were on the side of "get rid of it" We made several trips to Goodwill.
The whole process of packing and moving was intense. My wonderful wife made it happen. We slammed into plenty of snags along the way. I lost the keys to my bike lock, my bike had to be cut free with power tools minutes before the crates were being delivered. We found the keys later in my 4 year old's bike bag. Getting the crates packed within the time limit was hard work. Rise has neuropathy so she needs to manage her pain. We packed crates all day Wednesday then the truck picked up the crates and ships them to California. We slept on the floor in the empty apartment until we departed on Saturday.

We ended up using three crates for all our stuff. Originally I wanted to use two crates,but when it came down to the cost of purchasing new stuff or shipping crate costs. The third crate was the way to go.
 
Packed crates in Boston ready to be shipped.

Our emptied out apartment with Chowder preparing himself for the cross country ride.

 Finally on the road around 11am Saturday. Last minute details, tidying up the apartment and packing the car all took way longer than we expected. This is the last shot from Boston on the Mass Pike. Watertown MA is directly ahead of us. This was taken right after the Allston toll heading WEST. The New Balance building is on the left.

3000+ miles of mother fucking road trip ahead!




No comments:

Post a Comment